My Dog Ate Something He Shouldn’t Have in Canton, GA – What Should I Do?
Finding that your dog has eaten something that they shouldn’t have can quickly lead owners to panic. After all, the situation can be incredibly frightening. However, it is important that you know what to do in these scary situations as getting your pet proper and quick treatment is the most important course of action.
There are many things that dogs should not eat. Of course, this includes things that are not food such as rocks, tissues, and socks. However, some foods can be toxic to dogs as well. In every case where a dog eats something that they shouldn’t have, the first thing that you should do is quickly assess the situation and then call an emergency vet.
In this article we will be explaining what you should do if your dog has eaten something that they shouldn’t have. We will be breaking each process down into simple step by step instructions. In addition, we will also be explaining what foods are potentially toxic to dogs.
Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs
When we talk about things that are toxic to our pets most people think of the obvious things such as cleaning supplies. However, there are many common foods that we love to eat, but they can be toxic to our dogs. Here is a list of some potentially toxic foods for dogs. You should call your veterinarian immediately if your dog has ingested any of the following:
- Macadamia Nuts
- Balsam Pears
- Japanese Plums
- Yeast Dough and Hops
- Coffee and coffee grounds
- Tomato leaves and stems
- Potato leaves and stems
- Xylitol and chewing gum
- Peaches and Pears
What To Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Something Toxic
Finding out that your dog ate something toxic can be an extremely scary event. However, it is important that you remain calm and follow the following steps. Here is what you should do if your dog has eaten something toxic.
Step 1: Assess the Situation
It is important that you quickly assess your pet’s condition, what they have eaten, and how much. This will give your vet a better idea of the situation and how life threatening it is for your pet. It can also be helpful to know your dog’s approximate weight for this reason as well.
Step 2: Call the Vet or ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
The next thing that you should do once you have assessed the situation is to call your vet. If your vet is unavailable, then you could also call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. Here they will be able to provide detailed information about the toxin, properly consider the situation, give you further steps, and recommend if your dog should go to the emergency vet or not. Calling the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center could result in a consultation fee. There is also a free app through the ASPCA to provide additional information on toxicity.
Step 3: Follow the Vet’s Advice
The next thing that you should do is to follow the vet’s advice. In some cases, you may need to induce vomiting in your dog before going to the emergency vet. Follow their instructions exactly.
*****Never induce vomiting unless instructed by a vet.
Step 4: Go to The Vet Or Monitor Your Pet
Next you should either go to the vet or continue to monitor your pet for the amount of time that was recommended by the vet. You should follow whatever instructions the vet has given you. You will likely need to be on the lookout for signs of poisoning for your pet for up to 12 hours after the event. Some common signs of toxicity besides vomiting in dogs include:
- Increased breathing rate
- Increased heart rate
- Signs of pancreatitis
Of course, if you notice the development of any of the above symptoms in your dog then you should call the emergency vet and take them there immediately.
What To Do If Your Dog Ate Something That Was Not Food
Although eating a foreign body is technically not toxic, it can still be very dangerous for your pet. This is because ingesting a foreign body can lead to a bowel obstruction or choking. Here is what you should do if your dog has eaten something other than food.
Step 1: Assess the Situation
Check to see what exactly your dog has eaten. If it is something very small, then it is likely nothing to worry about. However, if it is something very large for your dog’s body size, you should be more concerned. Find out what your dog has eaten if it’s possible. If your pet is choking, see if something is lodged in their throat and call the vet immediately for instruction.
Step 2: Call the Vet
Even if your dog has eaten something relatively small it is still a good idea to call the veterinarian. They will be able to let you know if it is something concerning or not. Here they will be able to walk you through what to do if your pet is choking and let you know if you should go to the vet.
Step 3: Go to The Vet Or Monitor Your Pet
Next you would either go to the vet immediately or just stay home and monitor your dog for any changes. It is important to note that bowel obstruction can be life threatening in dogs, and it almost always requires surgery.
What To Do If Your Dog’s Stomach Is Upset by Something Else They Ate
Sometimes dogs eat something else that is not particularly dangerous to them, but it still causes an upset stomach. As a result, you may still want to take your dog to the vet if:
- Your dog has been vomiting for more than 24hrs
- Your dog has had diarrhea for more than 24hrs
- Your dog has blood in their vomit or stool
- Your dog is showing signs of dehydration
- Your dog is showing signs of abdominal pain or is noticeably bloated
- Your dog is showing other worrying symptoms that could point to illness, injury, or a medical condition
Call Riverstone Animal Hospital
Need to talk with a veterinarian about what your dog ate? Call Riverstone Animal Hospital at (770) 479-7141 during regular business hours. If it is after regular business hours call their recommended emergency vet clinic.